Search Icon
info icon

Bournemouth end Charlton’s unbeaten run

Callum Wilson’s early effort gave AFC Bournemouth their fourth win in five games, whilst in turn inflicting a first league defeat of the season on a below-par Charlton Athletic side.

Despite Bournemouth failing to completely kill the game, Wilson’s strike combined with a solid defensive display was enough for Eddie Howe’s men to hold on for all three points against the lackluster Addicks at the Goldsands Stadium.

The Cherries were quick to find their feet in the game and stated their intent right from the off, with a second minute shot from Matt Ritchie well saved by Stephen Henderson in the away goal.

The goalkeeper was left helpless seconds later, however, as his panicky defence failed to clear the resulting corner, which gave Marc Pugh time to drill a ball through to Wilson in the area, who duly slotted in his eighth league goal of the season from close range, under the despairing body of Henderson.

Bournemouth held complete control of possession and momentum of play for the first half, with Wilson striking the base of the post from Ritchie’s clever free-kick, while the midfielder had an effort of his own before Brett Pitman also came close to doubling the lead.

Artur Boruc’s first and only real test in the Bournemouth goal came from Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson’s well-hit free kick, which was acrobatically tipped over the crossbar in the twenty-second minute when the ball looked destined to find the top corner.

Summer signing Wilson continued to be the biggest threat for Bournemouth, and almost found his second of the game after cleverly beating Henderson, only to find the side netting with his attempt.

A double substitution at half time for Bob Peeters and his Charlton side gave them a more positive start to the second half, but although they obtained more possession, still found themselves lacking real quality and incision in the final third.

Young striker Karlan Ahearne-Grant will provide the travelling fans with some respite, as he threatened the Bournemouth defence with his pace, although he was left isolated when it came to goal-scoring opportunities.

The longer the match stayed at a narrow lead, the more anxious Bournemouth fans became as every attack Charlton produced a widespread gasp across the Goldsands.

A series of corners allowed the home side to run down the clock, however, this almost proved costly as a counter-attack almost saw substitute Lawrie Wilson put Charlton back on level terms in the last minute.

In the end Eddie Howe’s men held on to a satisfactory victory, giving the cherries some vital form that can be carried into the upcoming busy period.