Search Icon
info icon

Fire at Lyme Regis

A team of firefighters dealt with a small blaze in student halls at Lyme Regis House, yesterday afternoon.

The student flats which is home to 400 students had to be immediately evacuated due to a fire caused on the fifth floor yesterday.

At around 2.40pm firefighters and emergency services were called out to extinguish the fire on Holdenhurst Road, with a crew of fireman tackling the small blaze.

Seven fire engines were on the scene, and eight sets of apparatus and hose reels extinguished the fire by 3.30pm.

The cause of the fire was a ‘misuse of electrical apparatus’ according to Dorset Fire and Rescue Service’s incident commander, Dave Prior.

No one was hurt in the incident and the fire did not spread to other areas of the accommodation.

Bournemouth University’s Press Officer Nathaniel Hobby, said: ‘The incident was minor, and no one sustained any injuries as the students were evacuated immediately.’

Students who live on the fifth floor of the building were denied access to their rooms until 6.30pm last night.

A student who lives on the fifth floor of the building said: ‘It took my flatmates and I a while to realise it was a real fire until we saw smoke appearing and we panicked. Everyone else remained quite calm. We are glad that no one was injured.’

The room of which the fire occurred is currently undergoing refurbishment.